What I love about family lifestyle photography…and why you should too
A friend recently told me she had never heard of the term ‘lifestyle photography’. I thought that I would share what it means to me and hopefully make you love it too:
1. What lifestyle photography isn’t…: as a general rule, lifestyle photography is very different from studio photography and traditional portraiture where everything is set up or organised from the background to the props and the poses.
Lifestyle photography is more natural and spontaneous, using a documentary approach. A lifestyle photo session will usually take place at home or in a location outdoors of your liking, somewhere you feel comfortable and relaxed. I might ask you to move near a window, for example, but what happens after that is what you and your family make of it.
2. It’s not about being perfect…because no one is: if you worry because your partner isn’t the most comfortable in front of the camera or because your children sometimes get wild or misbehave (nooo, never!)… that’s totally fine, it’s normal. We’ll ease into your session and I’ll follow the flow of your family without rushing. I’m here to photograph you as you are, no fake smiles, just the natural giggles. Your baby might cry and it’s totally fine, that’s what babies do. I might take a few photos of the tears (so you can remember those days) and carry on once your baby is soothed and fed.
3. Your ‘normal’ is also special: as a family lifestyle photographer, I expect you to do things you would normally do as a family. You might think that what you do together with your children sounds ‘ordinary’ but that’s so not true because you have your own way to do things as a family.
4. Why it is right for you: it is not for everyone but the parents that choose this style of photography are the ones who want to remind their children later how their family felt at a specific moment in time, without filter, by embracing the real and honest you.
5. I love it because it’s my way of showing you how you are, that special bond that runs between all the members of your family, big or small. It’s so easy to miss it in the daily chaos. THIS is your time to see it and embrace it.
Convinced? So get in touch !
Marion & You Photography is a lifestyle family photographer in South East London specialising in family, newborn, baby and maternity photography.
[Marion specialises in London family photography, Beckenham family photography, Bromley family photography, Dulwich family photography, Forrest Hill family photography, Herne Hill family photography, Greenwich family photography, Kent family photography as well as areas in and around London.]